Information about the Cape Blanco Lighthouse
Cape Blanco Lighthouse 00 Information
The lighthouse was built ca. 1870.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Cape Blanco lighthouse is the most westerly (not just for Oregon, but for the contiguous states), the oldest continuously operating, and the highest above the sea (256 ft to the focal plane of the light) of all Oregon's lighthouses.
The lens, the second at this site, is a slightly over-sized second-order Fresnel lens. Starting in 1911, the signature signal from Cape Blanco was a single white flash every twenty seconds. Prior to that, the light had been continuous. The current light is illuminated by a 1000 W incandescent bulb.
For more information about the history of Cape Blanco Lighthouse, its keepers, etc., and how it has changed over the years, see for example http://www.portorfordoregon.com/blanco.html
arctangentOregonlighthouseOregon coastOregon lighthouseinformationCape BlancoCape Blanco lighthouseCurry County